Monday, April 12, 2010

And the Rain Came Tumbling Down!

We had a long heavy cardboard roll from a rug that we purchased and the boys had been begging me for it. I finally figured out something that we could do with it that didn't involve them beating each other....hopefully. We made some rain sticks. We just cut the cardboard tube to the desired length. You could also use a paper towel or wrapping paper roll. I like how thick ours were though. Then along the spiral seam that runs the length of the tube we put 1" wire nails every 1/2" the entire length of the tube. Then we taped up one end and put tape down the spiral covering the nails. Poured in some rice and then taped up the other end. We let out some stickers and markers and TA DA! They have some rocking rain sticks.

5 comments:

Natebate said...

That is a great idea! Those are also good to make tracks for hot wheels. I used to love christmas time because I would make a track going down the stairs and I would "race" my cars.

Jenny said...

OH, what a great idea. We still have a little left. I will have to cut it open and tape the two halves together for a sweet track. You rock!

Unknown said...

Both totally cool ideas. Now I've gotta start saving tubes. Are paper towel tubes sturdy enough? We may experiment to find out.

Jason said...

You can use a paper towel tube but it made me a little nervous and I knew they would also be used as swords/beating sticks so I would worry that the nails would poke through.

Jason said...

um...apparently Jason was logged on on my computer because my last comment posted as him...