Saturday, November 08, 2008

AAOA Convention in Las Vegas

My friend, Janae', and I went to the AAOA (Advocates for the American Osteopathic Association) convention from Oct. 26-29th in Las Vegas. We were super busy the entire time but still had a blast. We learned a lot and were proud to represent the ATSU-KCOM chapter of SAA (Student Advocate Association). I have to put in a quick thank you to my mother in law, Margie. I couldn't have gone without her coming to watch the boys.

When we got in, we dropped off our stuff in our hotel room and went over to the SAA dinner at the Grand Lux Cafe.
Photobucket

The AACOFP(Advocates for the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians) was kind enough to sponsor the dinner for us. We got to meet so many of the fabulous women we work with over email who really help our organization to thrive and be successful. The food was incredible. While we were there, Janae' and I were able to sit with one of the other members of our organization, Ruth, who is living in Michigan during their 3rd and 4th year. It was so awesome to see her again. we were able to catch up and she was able to provide us with a few great suggestions about some of the issues we had been facing. Thanks again Ruth.
Photobucket

Unfortunately Janae' and I didn't really have a ton of time to enjoy ourselves and look around. We must have walked by this waterfall at least 2-3 dozen times and once we finally decided that we needed to stop for a moment to enjoy it. Isn't it incredible?
Photobucket

It was interesting how every evening there were different types of performers out and about in the hotel. These ones were incredible.
Photobucket

We had the opportunity to go to the ATSU-KCOM Alumni reception one evening. We spent quite a bit of time talking to Craig Phelps, D.O. (who is the team doctor for the NBA Phoenix Suns and the WNBA Phoenix Mercury) about the various stages of life through med school and after med school. He was able to offer us a lot of great advice. It was a fairly formal event, so we got the chance to get dressed up. That doesn't happen too often with kids around, lol. So, Janae' and I had someone snap a picture for us. It isn't great, but what can you expect from a tourist who doesn't speak English very well? And don't ask me why I bent my knee like that.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... I'm jealous...

Glad you had a good time wiff.

Janice said...

that looks like TONS of fun! I'm glad you got a chance to get away (even though it doesn't seem like you had much down time).