Friday, December 19, 2008

Did I mention the Tubes...

Oh yeah, I really am that far behind in blogging. Benton finally got his tubes put in his ears at the end of October. All last year we fought ear infection after ear infection after ear infection along with congestion all winter which caused him to be consistently on a prescription decongestant. I asked my pediatrician about tubes multiple times but she didn't seem to think that 6, 8, 10 ear infections in a row warranted them. I finally just told her I wanted a referral for an ENT and so we went in he looked in Benton's ears and saw the fluid that has been there oh forever and said yep we needed to do tubes. We scheduled a time and went to the hospital at 6:00 AM with both boys in tow. Benton had a slight cold and they made us reschedule, which I understood. Same thing the next time and the congestion kept getting worse and worse even after his pediatrician put him on an antibiotic. So we went back to the ENT and decided to do tubes and adenoids. This time because he would be intubated to do the adenoids, it was ok that he was sick. His tubes went in and his adenoids came out without a hitch. The poor guy though. He was a trooper.

You can tell in this picture how tired he was from being woken up before 6 AM and then having to sit around and wait.They had him drink some "stuff" that made him "relax". It was hilarious. It made him totally loopy at first. He thought everything was just hysterical. He couldn't stop laughing. In this picture he was litterally laughing just because I was taking a picture.Then he got really groggy. I thought for sure he was going to fall asleep because he was so tired. Alas...He was so out of it.
Then after waiting forever more, he started to get really mad. Boy was he ticked off. Tab was a real sport. Jason had a test that morning, so I had the boys all to myself for the most part. Tab just chilled on the bed and watched movies on Jason's Ipod.
A little while later they brought Benny-boogs back to me. It was nice to get to snuggle him while he was waking up.When he finally was a little bit awake he got mad until the nurse filled his cup with milk. The poor guy hadn't eaten in about 14 hours and was starving. He downed a sippy and a half of milk while we were there waiting to be discharged.I am happy to report that we haven't had a single ear infection or cold/congestion since then. I would however be very happy if he would start talking now. Really all I want to hear is mama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAMA.

There you go...

lacyboo said...

thats s good that you got that taken care of! my sisters son had a lot of issues speaking which we later learned was from the fluid, he could not hear properly. once he got his tubes, there was a world of difference in everything from speech to reading at school. so its soooo good that its taken care of early:)